It isn’t immediately clear to what extent the Outlander is all-new, as the vehicle appears to have some unusually large overhang that suggests a revision of an older chassis, but we understand that this is a new architecture underneath. Offering a size that’s similar to the outgoing model, the Outlander will continue to offer both five- and seven-seat configurations, with the third row reserved for small children. In addition to a range of gas and diesel models available in various markets paired with a new six-speed automatic or manual gearbox, a plug-in hybrid variant is in the cards as early as later this year.
For more, see our gallery of live shots and the official press release after the jump.
Mar 6, 2012
GENEVA, SWITZERLAND – Eleven years after it first coined the term “crossover”, Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) today unveils its third embodiment of this concept with the all-new next generation Outlander at the 82nd International Geneva Motor Show.
After a total of over 950,000 sales (as of end of December 2011 – including Airtrek – the first generation Mitsubishi Outlander) for the first two generations since June 2001, this all-new mid-size crossover is meant to comply with the times – a strategic and innovative premium vehicle, developed around a versatile global platform and borne of a harmonious balancing of:
• Low environmental impact
• Advanced safety
• Comfortable driving
• Clever utility
• Added convenience
This unveiling will confirm the start of an all-new generation of global products for Mitsubishi Motors, consistent with the ambitions set in MMC’s “Jump 2013″ smart business plan for a greener and more global Mitsubishi Motors.
Fittingly, MMC’s complete family of Passenger Vehicles / Crossovers / SUVs will also see a gradual transition to a re-focused design language, as seen with the all-new Outlander. While still being formulated, it is envisaged as an open concept meant to be flexible enough to suit specific vehicle requirements whilst staging Mitsubishi’s famous Three Diamond logo accordingly. This new engineering-driven look can be understood as the new expression of Mitsubishi’s near century old tradition of technology tailored for today’s world.
Similar in size to the current car, the 4655mm Next Generation Outlander follows a clear design brief where in true Mitsubishi fashion, key directions were for an “engineer’s car” with a “Solid – Safe – Simple” shape, blending substantial look with clean surfaces, as previewed in the Concept PX-MiEV and Concept PX-MiEV II show cars.
Whether its high flanks, raised beltline, uncluttered surfaces, strong shouldering or soft-contoured fenders, the all-new Outlander offers a very comforting sense of quiet protection and safety to its occupants – a quality car of substance devoid of cheap styling thrills and designed for the long-haul travelling its innovative power-train will allow.
Understated yet assertive, Outlander’s exterior design is further enhanced by a slim front aerodynamic grille with stylish hockey-shaped chromed strips seem to be milled directly from solid brass as if to shield the three-diamond logo, in-between the feline look of the sculptured wrap-around headlamps.
This same quality look continues inside the car with high grade premium materials (padded surfaces, soft-touch finish, silver or wood accents,2 gloss black appliqués) gracing a dashboard designed for better driver concentration, including ergonomic steering wheel controls as well as high-resolution and easy-to-read instrument displays.
In keeping with Outlander’s forte, the all-new next generation Outlander will continue to carry five or seven people2 in comfort and safety, supported by a powerful electronic architecture. The new Outlander now comes with a finer blend of:
• With a development of our Mitsubishi petrol and Clean Diesel engines. In Europe, the new Outlander will be made available with a choice of two different engines: 1. MMC’s “4J11″ – a 110 kW (150ps) 2.0 l MIVEC petrol now fitted with an all-new valve train2. MMC’s “4N14″ – a 110 kW (150ps) 2.2 Clean Diesel with many innovative features to include an ultra-low 14.9:1 compression ratio. Further improvements allow for high performance and low emissions.
• With an all-new Automatic Stop & Go system3
• With an all-new 6-speed automatic gearbox.3
• Through weight reduction (optimisation of the body structure, further use of high-tensile strength steel pressings).
All improvements leading to a much better fuel economy and emissions, down to a minimum target of below 130 g/km.3
• With the introduction of Adaptive Cruise Control system.3 This system maintains a safe distance to the vehicle in front, even at very low speeds when experiencing heavy traffic congestion.
• With the introduction of Forward Collision Mitigation system.3 This system detects obstacles on the road ahead of the vehicle and automatically applies the brakes to help preventing a collision.
• With the introduction of Lane Departure Warning system.3 This system warns the driver that their vehicle is about to depart from its lane through a visual warning display and a buzzer.
• With the introduction of Super-HiD “Wide Vision” xenon headlamps.3 Approximately 1.4 times more powerful than conventional HID headlights, they provide a 1,350-lumen beam that shines over an extremely wide area of 80°x 2 in total, instead of the 42° x 2 of conventional HiDs.
• With now a dual zone air conditioner.3
• A quieter cabin thanks to improved NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).
• A wide and comfortable 3rd row 50/50 split seating, replacing today’s jump seats.4
• High grade quality materials for a more premium D-Segment look & feel.
• With a 1.69m long floor when the 2nd and 3rd seats are folded down (+ 335 mm versus the previous Outlander).
• With a flat floor when all seats are folded down.
• And the adoption of a one-piece power tail gate.4
• With a display audio incorporating the rear view monitor system.4
• As so often requested – a tilt & telescopic steering column.4
After this Geneva unveiling, the all-new next generation Outlander will be launched first in Russia this summer, prior to European (late summer), Japanese, Oceania, Chinese and North American debuts.
During the course of 2012, MMC will also take advantage of the built-in possibilities of Outlander’s versatile platform & powerful electronic architecture to add an EV-based plug-In hybrid power-train to the ICE Outlander range.
This will be a fully integrated solution, based on MMC’s EV technology and also, making the best use of MMC’s extensive 4-Wheel-Drive expertise, offering a choice of driving modes including:
• Pure (Twin Motor 4WD EV).
• Series (Twin Motor 4WD EV supported by ICE generator).
• Parallel (Twin Motor 4WD EV supplemented by ICE at higher speed – Electric motors assist in powerful acceleration without any gear shift).
When fitted to the new Outlander, the Mitsubishi Plug-in Hybrid EV system will allow for
a range and very low CO2 emissions similar to that of MMC’s Concept PX-MiEV II (over 800 km and a target of below 50 g/km).5
PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS – EU6
• Length: 4655 mm
• Width: 1800 mm
• Height: 1680 mm
• Wheelbase: 2670 mm
2WD or 4WD
5 M/T or CVT
AS&G on M/T & CVT
2WD or 4WD
110 kW (150ps) @ 6,000 rpm
195Nm @ 4,100-4,200rpm
(excl. RU, UA and KZ)
Below 150g/km minimum
2.2 DiD Clean Diesel
6 M/T or 6 A/T
AS&G on M/T
2WD or 4WD
M/T: 110 kW (150ps)@ 3,500 rpm – 380Nm @ 1,750-2,500rpm
A/T: 110 kW (150ps)@ 3,500 rpm – 360Nm @ 1,500-2,750rpm
Below 130 g/km minimum
- Mitsubishi Concept PX-MiEV II Mitsubishi has showcased its PX-MiEV II concept for 2013 at...
- The Mitsubishi ASX is an appealing buy, thanks to its compact dimensions, spacious cabin and efficient engines Styling With an aggressive grille and lights, the Mitsubishi ASX...
- 2013 Lexus RX dons its family’s new face[cardvdseller's blog] It certainly isn’t the sexiest car to debut here at...
- 2013 Audi A3 Interior Revealed [www.cardvd-player.net] Audi has recently unveiled the interior of its next-generation 2013...
- Cadillac choreographs light show for approaching its 2013 XTS Cadillac has already been releasing a steady drip of information...
- 2013 Buick Enclave Headed to the Big Apple with Upgraded Interior This moody image previews the revised cabin that will grace...
- 2013 Bentley Mulsanne Executive Interior Brings Screens, iPads In the Bentley lineup, the Continental line and the Mulsanne occupy two...
- Lamborghini Aventador J is beautifully bonkers[cardvdseller's blog] This is not a concept car. We repeat, this is not...
- Lamborghini Aventador J speedster leaked ahead of Geneva unveiling[Cardvdseller's Blog] Back in January we heard rumors that Lamborghini would bring two new...
- 2013 Chevrolet Impala The 2013 Chevrolet Impala was recently caught on camera being in...